2016年9月21日 星期三

[銘] Advices for Research

Yet more materials on research that day. Before my sharing, Patrick was instructing how to get started on economics research. Though it is an introduction for master students, I learned a lot from it.

Here are the advices (Some might come not from him but also inspired that day),

  • Get exercises regularly.
    • (I think I'm doing this well, I intend to live 120+ yrs :D ) 
  • Get some regular hard work everyday.
    • He suggests an abstract a day.
      • or JEL article. 
  • Read broadly.
    • He read a book in architecture. 
    • What SD would tell us is to "Read outside economics"
    • (Once I asked SD how he got his ideas. "I'm interested in a particular set of questions, and I read from sociology, philosophy and politics to get ideas and answer the questions.")
  • Bomb your advisors with ideas.
    • Ask them the direction of literatures.
    • Present and test your ideas (to build up a taste of the ideas.)
    • Don't be afraid!
  • Attend boring classes or boring seminars.
  • Write every idea down.
  • The trinity of hard work, idea, and communication.
    • Reach out! Talk to people.
  • Write, write, write! 
    • First pancake
    • Maybe that's why I'm writing in other language now.

1 則留言: